tick, tick, tick

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Mon, 27 May 2002 17:08:30 -0700

    Hhhmmm,,,,,,,,,, I wonder if the glue joint between the lower leg =
and the upper leg is a bit loose. You could check it by just rocking the =
piano a bit.=20
    Now the really big question is: how do you fix that?

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wallace Scherer=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, May 27, 2002 1:40 PM
  Subject: tick, tick, tick

  No, this isn't a bomb. It's a question about a "tick, tick, tick" =
sound
  that comes from a polyester finish Wurlitzer baby grand piano as the
  (heavy) owner walks by on the wooden floor. She also complains that it =
does
  it when she plays fast, loud pieces (where the piano would move a =
bit). She
  says she is not going to pay any money for any work on the piano =
(tuning is
  past due) until this problem is fixed.

  Three different technicians have tried to fix it by tightening leg =
bolts,
  putting felt between the leg and the body, and generally checking =
things to
  see where else it could be. (Seems to be the legs)

  I know that these high gloss finishes can cause problems where two =
pieces
  come together - like benches. But the Baldwin company tech wasn't =
familiar
  with the problem.

  Have any of you found similar problems you were able to fix? How?

  ** Please answer me privately as I am not signed on to the list. **

  Wallace T. Scherer, Piano Technician, Music Educator
  P.O. Box 4121, Lantana, Florida, 33465 (561) 432-4121
  Web page: <http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/afinetune>