Repost: Help! My capstans are too short!

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Mon, 27 May 2002 17:32:46 -0500

>The piano did have some structural damage to the case which we repaired.  One
>of the legs and the horizontal piece connecting the leg to the case at the
>bottom was loose, and was reattached.   Maybe this changed the level of the
>keybed and contributed to the lost motion?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>The client is looking forward to getting the piano next weekend...
>
>Any thoughts on a solution?
>
>Thanks,
>Tom Sivak

Is the hammer/wippen/damper rail split? If not, I don't know if it's a
solution, but here's a quick and dirty that's relatively easy to reverse if
it proves not to work. If (if) you have some room between the key top and
nameboard felt, shim up the key frame back rail about 3mm, and the center
about 1.5mm and see how close it is to working and if the nameboard clears.
If that works, you'll be done by tomorrow afternoon. If not, it might get a
lot uglier before it gets better.

Ron N