Dealer Prep/Lack Thereof

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Mon, 27 May 2002 17:10:51 -0400

Yep -- been there done that here in Detroit.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2002 9:33 AM
  Subject: Dealer Prep/Lack Thereof

  List,=20

  I've been doing a fair amount of work for dealers lately, and I've =
been very frustrated by the lack of prep done on new pianos in the =
stores.  =20
  >>snip<<

  I'm sure many of you have faced or still contend with this issue.  How =
do we, as techs, tell the customer that the piano needs more frequent =
and more thorough service without heaping the blame on dealers?=20
  + Look at the piano as a cross between a pet and a car.  Like the pet, =
it is a member of the family.  Like any newcomer, it needs a lot of =
personal attention to help it acclimate to the family.  Like a car, it =
requires periodic maintenance.  Like any new car, the maintenace =
required is frequent so the parts settle properly and serious problems =
later on are less likely to develop.

  + When it comes to matters of regulation, explain to the customer that =
there are ways the action can be customized to their liking, and the =
best way to determine what will work best is for the customer to really =
get acquainted with the piano over a period of a few weeks, something =
that really can't be done very well while the piano is still in the =
store.  (This assumes that the piano was in working order upon =
delivery.)  Yes I admit, this may sound like some B$, but it does get =
the customer thinking about what they personally want from the piano.  =
The more personal it is, the more willing they are to pay for the job.

  Looking forward to a time I'm too busy with private tunings to work =
for stores....:)=20

  Dave Stahl=20

  + Or how about getting the stores to pay your private rates for =
first-rate work?  It can happen ...!

  Z! Reinhardt  RPT
  Ann Arbor  MI
  diskladame@provide.net