vandalism

PSFInc PSFInc@msn.com
Sat, 25 May 2002 22:00:37 -0700

one of them bragging about it and slap them off the stage into the pit, =
blame it on the green beans you were forced to eat.

Ed Mashburn, RPT,MPTA
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Wimblees@AOL.COM=20
  To: Pianotech@ptg.org ; caut@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 10:30 AM
  Subject: vandalism

  Yesterday I started doing some major voicing and regulating on our =
Concert D. At the end of the day I pulled the action and brought it back =
to my shop to do some flange repinning. I left the piano sitting in the =
middle of the stage, with the lid up. As a side note, I also tightened =
all the rim bolts.=20

  This morning I brought the action back to the piano with the intent of =
finishing the voicing. When I got to the piano I discovered about a =
dozen broken strings. My first thought was that the strings broke =
because I tightened the rim bolts. But upon closer inspection I found =
what the problem was. During the night someone had broken into the =
building, found the piano with it's lid up, and took a pipe or some =
other implement of destruction, to the strings. They not only broke the =
strings, but completely mangled about 8 damper heads. They broke off two =
tuning pins, and severely damaged the soundboard, where they pounded the =
pipe through the strings. They must also have had a screw driver of =
sorts, because further down on the soundboard, where they didn't break =
any strings, they punched holes in the soundboard. I had left the key =
rail in the piano, and they broke it in 6 pieces.=20

  When I reported this to the office, I found out that presumably the =
same person(s), also found a fire extinguisher and "painted" an upstairs =
bathroom, and also got into the electrical room, and turned off the =
power to the entire 2nd floor. When the janitor turned the power back =
on, an amplifier in one of the practice rooms was turned up to full =
volume.=20

  What makes this even sadder is that one of the piano faculty members, =
(also the chair of the department), was getting ready to record the =
Beethoven Violin Concertos. This will have to be put on hold until the =
piano has been repaired.=20

  What a way to start the weekend=20

  Wim=20