No Name[text

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Sat, 25 May 2002 22:24:32 -0400

Dear Friends,

I have regulated a small 4'8" piano from maybe the '20s and I am having a
rough time of it.  It is overly worn, the keys chuck like crazy and the touch
weight was impossible, 50+ to over 60 BW.  I increased the action spread to move
the wippens to center on the capstans and straighten the "magic line".  Balance
weight now in the 40s to early 50s.  Manageable.  Most bass keys only have one
lead weight so since this is a quick job (I _thought_ it was going to be) I will
use Jiffy leads instead of leading the keys.

This piano has a "Baldwin" plaque on the fall board.  It is not a Baldwin,
obviously, but what is it?  I am hoping there are some folks here who can
identify the piano from the pictures to follow.

Clues:

The jack looks like a Baldwin jack.
Trap work is all metal rod.
Lateral plate support behind the hitch pins
Keyblocks held in place with screws through the keyblock from the top
Look at the way the letoff rails is held in place
33 note bass
Three sections
Music desk held with two hinge pins going into the rim with two pins in to the
stretcher
Triangle cup at the rear of the plate
Legs held on with two large screws each

I moved the wippen rail about 3 mm.  Totally trashed what regulation there was.

I would like to know what monster this is and so would the customer.

Thank you all.

                Newton