Return calls/was tuning stability

Sat, 25 May 2002 07:27:42 -0700

than those couple of dollars.

David Love

----- Original Message -----=20
  From: PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: May 25, 2002 5:56 AM
  Subject: Return calls/was tuning stability

  Terry, list,=20

  I recently tuned a 1 year old Kawai RX-2 6' grand in a home that was a =
 half hour drive from my house.  I spent a good amount of time on it =
because it had gone at least 20-30 cents flat throughout in the year =
since it had been purchased and tuned.  When I was finished, I was quite =
pleased with the way it sounded.  Unfortunately, the gentleman who plays =
the instrument was not there to check it out at the time.  He called the =
following week to point out that there was little sustain in the =
mid/lower treble.  =20

  I know the dampers were adjusted, and I'd left nothing on the strings =
to mute them.  The hammers were not grooved at all.  My take on it is =
that the player had gotten used to a certain sound-- out  of tune--so =
that when the unisons were tuned, the piano didn't sound the same at =
all.=20

  Anyway, I told him that I'd come out and look at the piano no charge =
if he could wait until I had another call in his neighborhood(likely =
very soon--it's in San Jose, CA, a huge metropolitan area with many =
pianos).  I'd come look at it and correct anything I'd caused or missed =
for no charge, but if it turned out he'd left a shirt on the strings, or =
that there was no problem, I'd charge him half a tuning fee for the hour =
in the car.=20

  Sound fair?  Any opinions on this?=20

  Dave Stahl=20