Recrowning the soundboard,something different

Jon Page jonpage@attbi.com
Sat, 25 May 2002 09:15:32 -0400

At 08:10 AM 5/25/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>hi list
>a recent chapter meeting our host explained that he improved sound board crown
>by cutting through the  treble-tenor bridge, perhaps in two or three
>places, to
>the soundboard. then he placed a heavy beam across the rim and with a
>turniquiot[spelling?} pulled the sound board up to open up the cuts in the
>bridge to a predetermind measurement. then he taped of the side of the
>bridge at
>the cuts and filled them with west epoxy to dry overnight. the next day he
>would
>remove all the stuff and go on to rebuild the piano.  he says the tone is
>nicely
>improved.
>any thoughts
>wayne
>
>p.s. is there really  20 tons of pressure on the soundboard or is that on the
>frame and the pressure at downbearing at the bridge is something different

As Ron and Del pointed out in the recent thread about a curve cut into the
bridge
prior to installing that the bridge does not support crown, it is too flexible.

Perhaps the improvements were a result of the new strings and hammer work.
Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com