Retirement of a fork

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 18:57:42 -0700

    Dave, I too always check my forks. I always calibrate them so that =
they're at A440 after being brought up to 98.6 degrees Farenheight. ( I =
put them between my belt and my shirt.)  I used to have a Hale =
electro-fork. It worked great, but I never used it because it tunes with =
no stretch. I left it with a girlfriend of mine who owns a music store =
when I left California. (Was great for autoharps) I taught her to tune =
the center octave to the stupid machine, and tune out by ear. It would =
have made a great pitch reference for A4, though. I didn't use it =
because it was way bigger than a fork.=20
    I left California because it was becoming too much like Madison, WI. =
 ( 52 square miles, surrounded by reality.)

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Renaud=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 4:11 PM
  Subject: Retirement of a fork

    I recall getting paranoid about my fork before
  my exam. Checking at the acutuner display I
  was appalled to learn it was 2.5 cents flat.=20
  Promptly purchased a new one, finding it .8 cents off.
  Reporting to the supplier's table they offered their
  best big $50 heavy fork. To acutuner I ran
  discovering it was 4.5 cents flat.=20

    So I learned to adjust forks and calibrated my
  collection. Learned to be aware of fork temperature
  and resulting pitch variation. For years they served
  me well. From time to time I would drop one, or they
  would rust out. For whatever reason every time I would
   check them against a machine they had changed
  somewhat, requiring tweaking of pitch.=20

  These last 3 years I use an cheap Sieko device that
  can buzz pitches. $5 garage sale item. Checked it's A
  with acutuner and tunelab on various occasions and it
  stops the lights. =20

    It does not wear out the old teeth, does not
  fluctuate in pitch with temperature, does not require
  3 hands, has not required tweaking of pitch
  calibration, and is not expensive.=20

   Based on my experience I propose that we can maintain
  a more consistent standard with greater ease, and
  therefore a higher standard with a cheap electronic A
  then with a fork. =20

    PS. I still carry a fork, as it does not require
  batteries.=20
  Also Continue to experiment with tunelab these=20
  last couple months. Nice tool.   =20

                        Dave Renaud
                        RPT
       =20