vandalism

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 24 May 2002 13:30:33 EDT

Yesterday I started doing some major voicing and regulating on our Concert D.
At the end of the day I pulled the action and brought it back to my shop to
do some flange repinning. I left the piano sitting in the middle of the
stage, with the lid up. As a side note, I also tightened all the rim bolts.

This morning I brought the action back to the piano with the intent of
finishing the voicing. When I got to the piano I discovered about a dozen
broken strings. My first thought was that the strings broke because I
tightened the rim bolts. But upon closer inspection I found what the problem
was. During the night someone had broken into the building, found the piano
with it's lid up, and took a pipe or some other implement of destruction, to
the strings. They not only broke the strings, but completely mangled about 8
damper heads. They broke off two tuning pins, and severely damaged the
soundboard, where they pounded the pipe through the strings. They must also
have had a screw driver of sorts, because further down on the soundboard,
where they didn't break any strings, they punched holes in the soundboard. I
had left the key rail in the piano, and they broke it in 6 pieces.

When I reported this to the office, I found out that presumably the same
person(s), also found a fire extinguisher and "painted" an upstairs bathroom,
and also got into the electrical room, and turned off the power to the entire
2nd floor. When the janitor turned the power back on, an amplifier in one of
the practice rooms was turned up to full volume.

What makes this even sadder is that one of the piano faculty members, (also
the chair of the department), was getting ready to record the Beethoven
Violin Concertos. This will have to be put on hold until the piano has been
repaired.

What a way to start the weekend

Wim