not enough hands -- setting A49 to fork

Mark Wisner MWisner@yamaha.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 10:26:43 -0700

I clamp down on the end of the fork stem with my teeth, freeing up both =
hands.  My wife, who is a dentist, doesn't approve but you can REALLY hear =
the fork.  Of course you have to be careful where you put the fork when =
you're not using it.....=20

Mark Wisner
Yamaha Corporation
mwisner@yamaha.com

>>> piano@charlesneuman.net 05/24/02 09:43AM >>>
When setting A49 to the fork, I like to compare F21-fork with F21-A49. It
seems that I need three hands to do this: One to play F21, one to hold the
fork or play A49, and one to move the lever.

Since I only have 2 hands, I keep F21 held down by putting a mute sort of
sideways and resting on the backchecks of the neighboring notes (on a
vertical piano) so that it blocks F21 in the depressed position. Or I can
jam a mute along the top of the key to keep it down, but that seems like
it would mess up the felt right above the keytop. Once it's held down,
then I can compare F21-fork and then tune F21-A49 to that same beat rate.

Are there any other techniques I should consider?

Charles Neuman
PTG Associate, Long Island-Nassau