Tuning Gone Bad

Don pianotuna@yahoo.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 07:08:27 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Terry,

I hope you keep accurate readings on humidity and
pitch correction. If you have you will likely find
that the readings are significatly different than they
were when you tuned the piano. As to what significant
means I believe a 5% humidity change causes a 4 cent
shift in the pitch of the piano at A4. Of course, the
less stable parts of the piano will change more.

When you return to see the instrument you should
strongly recommend that the pianist be there to
inspect the instrument. Take along the PTG literature
(or if you have none make copies from the web site).
Be prepared to educate the user and the owners of the
instrument.

Listen to the clients complaints, and ask them prior
to your return visit to make a list of notes that they
are unhappy with.

I prefer to have all clients "approve" work before I
leave. This tends to cut back on call backs. I also
try to shedule the next service appointment, with the
provision that if the piano starts to sound "wild" to
them that they should call me to rebook sooner.

=====
Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/