Tuning Gone Bad

Susan Kline sckline@attbi.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 06:27:12 -0700

Two things --

First, call-backs happen. I wouldn't charge them unless I found something
which obviously is their fault. Then, I would show it to them, and explain.

Second, especially for a spinet, check carefully to be sure that all four
casters are on the ground, each holding up their share of the piano. If one
of the front legs is hanging in air, it will throw the whole tenor off by
several beats. Find out if they've moved the piano. They might have found a
patch of floor where one leg is in air (easy to spot) or they might have
moved it from a place where one leg was in air, and now it's not. (harder
to spot, unless you get in the habit of checking for it before you tune.)
If this is their problem, they need to know about it, so they can "heal"
the tuning themselves if it happens again.

Susan