Recrowning Sound Boards

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 23 May 2002 18:52:30 -0700

FWIW, I too "recrown" soundboards. I have many out there that span 25 years,
(on my own)(Previously w/Del). So far the boards are holding just fine.
Although, I do think that "re-crowning" is not the ultimate and some times
will not work, it is a viable alternative to trashing an otherwise decent
"Family Piano". The most difficult "Re-crowning" I have done, to date, was
on a "Strung Back" Orchestrion. When this thing came to me, some one else
had "fiddled" with it. It was a mess. The board had a definate "reverse"
crown and negative downbearing throughout. When it left my shop, it had
adequate down-bearing, (and I did not reposition the plate!), and a "crown"
throughout the board. This was a few years ago and I would bet that it is
still just fine. The next time I get up to the San Juans, I plan on dropping
in to check on it. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it! [G]
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)