More uses for "G" Piano Works(barely) Labor Guide

Greg Casper gcasper@pacbell.net
Thu, 23 May 2002 17:16:01 -0700

>From whom can the G Piano Guide be acquired?

Greg Casper
San Jose, CA
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf Of
Clyde Hollinger
  Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 4:44 PM
  To: pianotech@ptg.org
  Subject: Re: More uses for "G" Piano Works(barely) Labor Guide

  Dave,
  You've got a lot of courage!  <G>  If you run into the same situation
again in the future, you can stick to your guns but suggest they get a
second opinion.  "That'll be a $xx consultation fee (unless you want to talk
with me longer)."

  But yeah, you do run into situations.  About a month ago I saw a totally
shot upright, not serviced in more than fifty years.  I declined to touch
it, and they accepted that, but the little grandma will keep playing it just
the way it is.  They're not going to get anything else.  I still think about
that, sometimes wondering if I made the right decision.

  Regards, Clyde

  PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM wrote:

    List,
    Two days ago, I encountered one of those pianos that makes you want to
back out of the door as soon as you get in the house.  Other than being
brought into the world as a Krakauer, there were virtually no redeeming
qualities:  7 broken shanks, not a single un-rotted bridle strap, barely a
bushing left in a key, flat hammers, rusty pins and strings, a hefty coating
of dust throughout, etc., etc...

    I tried my hardest to beg off, realizing that nothing less than a
complete rebuild would be satisfactory.  But they wouldn't hear of it.  The
gentleman asked me to fix the hammers, get it running so that he could play
it.  I explained that without major repairs, it would never work to anyone's
satisfaction, that the shanks were probably cedar and would continue to
break.   Again, they gently insisted that I fix the hammers.

    Two hours and several replaced and sleeved shanks later, I had
"completed" the job.  I never got to tune it--which is just as well,
considering the condition of the strings and pins--but had spent substantial
time on the monster.

    The "G" Piano Works Guide was very useful for quantifying the job I had
done in a way that my customer could understand.  I was able to make enough
money that it wasn't a total waste, and I gained some valuable experience.
I recommend carrying this useful guide in your kit or your car.

    Thanks to Joe and everyone else who put hours into creating this!

    Dave Stahl