Recrowning the soundboard

Robert Goodale rrg@unlv.edu
Thu, 23 May 2002 12:01:58 -0700

Hmmm, some interesting points, BUT...

Sound boards in pianos are not violins.  Pianos have 20 tons of tension on
them, much of which is reflected down on the sound board.  Violins are also
constructed differently in that the top of a violin is largely carved into a
crown rather than bent into a rim.  There is some bending but the tensions are
different.  True, boards loose their crown but I am not aware of any procedure
that can "restore" crown.  Crown is not only established by the ribs but also
by the wood fibers themselves which are prone to break down.  Sound boards also
become notorious for becoming brittle as they age leading to further cracks
down the road.  The hide glue becomes brittle and crystallizes with age leading
to rib separation.  Likewise bridge caps require replacement too.  This is
typically included in a board replacement.  When the job is completed with a
new board, new ribs, and new bridge caps, assuming that is was done correctly
the piano will be as it was when it left the factory.

Sound boards are not "sacred" and it is not a sin to replace one.  They become
old and tired and when repairs, gluing, shims, and so on are no longer a
permanent solution it is time for replacement.  If a board looses crown and
becomes riddled with cracks after 75 years there is no way repairing it is
going to make it last another 75 years.  It will deteriorate again and you are
back to the same problem.  Now what does one do?  Patch the board again until
it looks like a quilt?  Replacing a sound board is a big job, very involved and
with certain components requiring measurements ranging into the hundredths of
an inch, but it is by no means an unreasonable task.  Those who installed them
were not gods, just hourly employees at a piano factory who did nothing but
install sound boards for 30 years because that was what the manufacturer
trained them to do.

I have been to Art Reblitz' shop and consider him a friend.  He does a lot of
very specialized work on extremely rare and valuable instruments and does
repair some sound boards, however he also has a nice sound board press and
replaces them when required.

Just some points to be considered.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV