Old Packard upright

Gordon Holley gholley@hi-techhousing.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 12:50:59 -0500

Thanks for the suggestions Susan, however.  I believe with this
family, right now - 2002, that at most the charge for a tuning might
have been acceptable, but the $150 to $200 would probably be out of
the question.  I did give some consideration to finding a way to do
just the "bare necessities" for now, and this discussion with your
suggestions was what I was hoping would come out of my little story
about this piano. The father had taken a very light gauge wire and
attempted to make a connection, from the top of the bridle wire, back
through the bridle strap hole in the catcher and tied it off there.
Very crude, but he thought this would help.  Before putting my mind
in gear I said "boy someone has messed with this" while pointing at
one of the many examples with my pencil, and he remarked very
quietly, "ya, I did that, not so good ha?".  Next time I'll be a
little more careful with that kind of comment.
 I'm considering these alternatives, one being using eigher the cork
tipped or spring clip bridal strap.  I fear, without touching the
straps that are still in place, that many are just waiting to fall
off with the slighest tug.
I believe I'll go back and take a quick inventory of what parts I'd
need to do the "bare necessities" now, hammer heads and shanks,
not file the hammers, and not mark the parts up, add a charge for
tuning at pitch and see if that would be more appealing.
I can spit from my house to their's so there's no travel involved.
I'll try and talk with them over the holiday weekend and up-date you
next week.  I do appreciate your interest and sugggestions.
Regards, Gordon