Oblique hammers

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@wanadoo.fr
Wed, 29 May 2002 22:44:48 +0200

Stephane,

hammers are usually glued with aluittle slant at the breaks, in order to
have a better travel.

When filed they will present that angle you noticed. (because the filing is
straight) I understand that this inequal contact on the strings gives a lot
of zingling sound and high partials, but this is not usually desired in
piano tone.

But I've seen that on a piano with rusty strings, lot of capo noises, the
tech have pulled a little out of the bridge pins the few remaining pure
sounding strings, in order to have the same kind of tone everywhere.

There is another parameter that goes in the picture : the string termination
on the bridge is not in the same plane that the soundboard, particlularely
where the bridge is really in a diagonal direction. The plane of the string
can well not be level at these places (mostly near the break again ), so we
have to shape the hammers accordainly.

Regards.

Isaac OLEG