Oversize pins in a doped block/Mike spalding's ? re.bushings

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Tue, 28 May 2002 20:16:39 -0700

Mike,
The beauty of soaking the bushings is that the bushing becomes flexible!
Here's how it's done: Several days to a week before stinging starts, put the
correct size/number of bushings in a large jar. (Peanut butter?). Put about
1 table spoon of Pin Driving Fluid in. Pour in about a 1/2 pint of
"Synthetic Reducer". Mix it up real gud! Let soak. When the bushings sink to
the bottom, they're ready to use. Leave the "floaters", they will eventually
sink too. When I am ready to start stringing, I extract, (w/hemostats),
six-nine bushings, (this depends on how fast a stringer you are), place them
on double paper towel, on a piece of masonite or any other somewhat
disposable plank. (The synthetic reducer is pretty strong stuff so don't put
it on your prized Work Bench!) (Don't ask!) :-( I usually grab three more
out of the jar when I have put three in and have strung two holes. Insert
the bushings with a bushing punch. If they squirt all over the place, they
are still too wet. You should just get a small amount of "squirt". <G>
Testing will tell you when they're just right. Once the bushing is inserted,
swab the pin block/bushing with pin driving fluid. Sting away, keeping the
cycle going. When you anticipate stopping, then use the last ones on the
paper towel or put them back in the jar. I always have strict orders, when
stringing, to not be disturbed unless ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY, (like maybe the
house is on fire or some other dif-fuc-il-ty.)
That's pretty much it. Happy stringing. And for gawd sake wear ear/eye
protection!
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)