Tuning Gone Bad: The Outcome

Bigeartb@AOL.COM Bigeartb@AOL.COM
Tue, 28 May 2002 21:10:56 EDT

Terry,
     As you already know, humidity changes can cause pianos to do some real
strange things. A church recently took their Baldwin Hamilton Studio piano
from their air conditioned church and placed it in the hot sun on an outside
stage. I tuned the piano continuous times and the pitch was changing as fast
as I could tune and when I finally gave up it was still changing. The bad
thing was no body else knew the pitch was changing. The music director and
congregation thought it sounded "real good".
I suspect the problem was some strange humidity problem.
     Also since you are a Florida boy....I have just returned from a
wonderful time at Orange Beach, Florida in a condo on the beach.  I was
wondering as I enjoyed that ocean breeze, how do you keep the salty air from
contaminating the metal piano parts . Is this a problem in your area and if
so,  how do you approach that problem.
Tommy Black
Decatur, Ala.