June Journal and FW's

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Tue, 28 May 2002 22:46:28 +0200

Hi folks

With Terrys recent query about Stanwood in mind and after reading Vince Mrykalo's article entitled Adjusting Whippens Assist Springs in the June Journal I thought it might be interesting to take a closer look at what general parameters for FW leads Vince is working with.

He mentions that a BW of around 50 grams is a desirable figure for an action equipped with assist springs (BW taken with said springs disengaged of course). I got to thinking what this relates to in FW for various configurations and so taking Stanwoods balance equation I set BW at 50 gram , assumed a 9 gram WBW and looked at ratios of 6.0 and 5.7 for SWs of 12,11,10,9, and 8. (course SW = 12 for R = 6 is non applicable) and solved for FW to compare with Stanwoods table for Maximums

In the case of a ratio of 5.7 the FW values resulting from Vince's 50 gram BW (assist springs disengaged) were just about 12 grams under the maximums values for hammers of corresponding SW's for that ratio.

In the case of ratio 6.0 they were right around 15 grams under the maximums given in Stanwoods table.

for ratio of 6.0 FW's for SW's 11, 10, 9, and 8 were 31, 25,19,13, and 7 grams respectively, and these correspond to key numbers 4,  26,  45, and 60

for 5.7 FW's for SW's 12, 11, 10, 9, and 8 were  27.4,  21.7, 16, 10.3,  and 4.6  grams respectively and correspond to keys 11, 32, 47, 59, and 69

It would seem then that Vince feels that assist springs should do somewhere around 12 - 15 grams of work.

I am currious as to how that fits in with others who are accustomed to useing assist springs.

Just musing around a bit tonite... :)

RicB
Richard Brekne
RPT NPTF