The most difficult piano to work on

MBrat70179@AOL.COM MBrat70179@AOL.COM
Tue, 28 May 2002 09:52:36 EDT

Hi list,

This may not be new to anyone, but it was a first for me.  This is a 1908
Kranich & Bach.  The first thing I noticed was the plate design.  There were
no agraffes,  The strings passed through the plate.  The plate in the capo
area was a little thicker than usual.  The strings had individual holes to go
through.  I had the pleasure of replacing a bass string.  Not fun.  The
problem I found was that you had to put an unnatural upward bend in the wire
to coax it into going under cape then up through hole in plate.  What a truly
dumb way of stringing.

Next came the action.  During tuning notes 87 & 88 were hitting the belly
rail.  So I wanted to remove the action to correct them.  No. 1 this piano
has the vertical piano style una corda.  The hammers move closer to the
strings instead of the action shifting.  3 screws from the bottom of the
keybed hold the front rail down.  These were to be unscrewed with the tuning
lever.  Of course they were stripped, and one was missing.  No. 2 after
action is out I noticed the hammer flanges were reflanged with universal
flanges that weren't so universal.  Easy fix there.  No. 3 Now lets put the
action back.   Hmmmmm......Why are the bass hammers now a half inch higher
than the pinblock?  Oh, I see.  There's a spring loaded whippen rail that
rotates the whippen rail forward moving the heel to a different area raising
the hammer line to a higher level.  The lever is in the very back of the
action where I can't actuate the lever and slide the action in at the same
time.  Hmmmm.....Wow, how stupid of a manufacturer to design this.  I was
looking for a way to lift up on this lever and slide the action in at the
same time.  There were none.  I did see an "L" shaped rod that could be
pivoted around to hold the whippen rail down (this is similar to the "L"
hooks that hold trapwork in place while moving).  Ahh...this must be how it
works....Wrong.  First you cannot spin this around because there is no
clearance between the action bracket and it will hit the whippen on the other
side, and secondly if you were actually able to turn it with the action out
of the piano, you would never be able to turn it while it was in the piano,
due to plate interference.  My solution,  take some string and lift the lever
in the rear and run the string over the hammer rail while sliding the action
back in the the cavity.  This worked well enough for me to put the action
back, but the whole time I'm grumbling to myself.  There must have been
something I  over looked or the part may have fallen off sometime in its 96
years of existence,  either way it was a first for me.

I don't get first time experiences much anymore. I know some of you have went
through the same thing with this PSO.  I know they built more than one.

Mike Bratcher