Word Wrapping in Archives

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Tue, 28 May 2002 00:22:05 -0400

At 9:29 PM -0400 5/27/02, Farrell wrote:
>"The other option is to select "none" for your encoding and then
>wrap your lines at 70 characters.  The >only thing you need to be
>aware of if you choose this option is that any 8-bit characters you
>might >include in your messages will get gobbled up or converted."
>
>What will that do? What are 8-bit characters. I know a few two-bit
>chumps, but no 8-bit characters. Thanks.
>
>Terry Farrell

I'd gather, although I don't have a diploma or certificate to prove
it, that 8-bit are the upper 128 characters in the near-universal
256-bit character set. These are the characters beginning with 129
through 256. 7-bit characters number 128, the 8th bit doubles that.

There are lots of invisible characters here (as is in the earliest 16
characters in the series) which govern paragraph and sentence
formatting. But many of these formatters (like soft returns) are only
temporary for local screen draws and print orders, and should be
nulled if the text is to be sent on.

An ascii chart of your current text font will show you what's tucked
away in the full 256 character set.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I go, two plus like, three is pretty much totally five. Whatever"
     ...........The new math