Artist Bench Repairs

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Mon, 27 May 2002 18:50:37 -0400

Dear List,

I've just fixed an artist bench which was rocking obnoxiously from
side to side, due to 0.08" of end play in the main screw (shaft?),
measured between the pillow blocks.  I figured that the only place
where the end play could be easily removed was at the ends of the
screw which it sticks out of the top box (the upholstered part) and
where the hand knobs are attached. I got 1/16" thick washer (with a
5/8" ID to allow it to slip over the end of the screw) and placed it
between the box body, and the hand knob on one side. Then to make
sure that the shimming accomplished by the washer wasn't undone
because the knob might slide outwards on the flat-ground area of the
shaft where the knob's set screw is supposed to bear, I used to
transfer punch to mark a spot on the flat ground, where I wanted to
set screw to hit AND stay, drilled a dimple in the flat ground, which
the set screw would land in as a home. And reassembled.

The end play and the rock are now gone.

Has anybody else gotten rid of end play an an artist bench's main
screw, and if so, what's the right way to do this. Where does this
end play creep in. I gather originally it is determined by the pillow
blocks. If I did this wrong, I'm certainly willing to do it over,
RIGHT.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"A man who tells the truth is bound to be found out sooner or later."
     ...........Uncle Harry in "The Tailor of Panama"