Repost: Help! My capstans are too short!

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Mon, 27 May 2002 18:31:52 -0400

The simplistic answer is to get longer capstans, but, check the "magic line",
key balance point to wippen flange pin and the capstan should touch that line
when the key is half depressed.

Check that the capstan is touching the rocker felt in the center of the cushion.

You could glue on some tenons, drill and screw the old capstans back in.

Before doing anything like that check as much of the regulation as you can, to
make sure any change you make will not make the problem worse.

It is possible to lower the action a bit but that will involve a lot of damper
regulation and you may lose your hammer strike point.

Check the wear of the butts.  They man have felt instead of leather.  If this is
the case you will have to regulate the capstans so the jack can get back up
under the butt under it's own spring tension.

Oh my, what a nice little mess you have there. :)

		Newton