Repost: Help! My capstans are too short!

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Mon, 27 May 2002 14:38:13 -0700

Tom,
This is a real head scratcher! If the action mounts to the sides of the
piano, then, it is possible that the key bed has tipped back, due to the leg
repair. Could be the hammer rail felt is too thick, as many of those
consoles had, (what I consider to be), odd hammer rest felt. But then the
blow distance would be off! Hmmmm? My guess is that the piano was set up
improperly by the factory. You might try checking the strike point of the
hammers on the strings. If this is incorrect then you will have to lower the
action. BUT, then the damper alignment will have to be corrected. A real can
of worms, to be sure. Only other possibility for correction would be to add
block at the capstan area to raise the advantage of the capstans. Even that
isn't the best, but would solve the immediate problem.
Just some thoughts.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)