tick, tick, tick

Wallace Scherer WallyTS@compuserve.com
Mon, 27 May 2002 16:40:20 -0400

No, this isn't a bomb. It's a question about a "tick, tick, tick" sound
that comes from a polyester finish Wurlitzer baby grand piano as the
(heavy) owner walks by on the wooden floor. She also complains that it does
it when she plays fast, loud pieces (where the piano would move a bit). She
says she is not going to pay any money for any work on the piano (tuning is
past due) until this problem is fixed.

Three different technicians have tried to fix it by tightening leg bolts,
putting felt between the leg and the body, and generally checking things to
see where else it could be. (Seems to be the legs)

I know that these high gloss finishes can cause problems where two pieces
come together - like benches. But the Baldwin company tech wasn't familiar
with the problem.

Have any of you found similar problems you were able to fix? How?

** Please answer me privately as I am not signed on to the list. **

Wallace T. Scherer, Piano Technician, Music Educator
P.O. Box 4121, Lantana, Florida, 33465 (561) 432-4121
Web page: <http://www.angelfire.com/biz6/afinetune>