Dealer Prep/Lack Thereof

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Sun, 26 May 2002 09:36:13 -0700

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Sunday, May 26, 2002 6:33 AM
  Subject: Dealer Prep/Lack Thereof

  List,=20

  I've been doing a fair amount of work for dealers lately, and I've =
been very frustrated by the lack of prep done on new pianos in the =
stores.   Most of them get tuned once before delivery, then one free =
tuning in the home.  Few get the recommended full-on prep/regulation .  =
It's usually enough to get them out the door, which is what a =
salesperson is SUPPOSED to do.=20

  The problem lies with the dealer avoiding the maintenance issue:  =
frequency of tuning(3-4 times a year for the first 2-3 years according =
to the manuals)  Regulation is seldom, if ever, mentioned in a sales =
pitch.  Repairs are often left for the customer to happen upon after =
delivery.=20

  I don't want to bite the hand that sometimes feeds me by calling the =
dealers liars, but I don't want the pianos and owners to get sub-par =
service because the dealer said "tune it once a year, whether it needs =
it or not."   By saying things like this, the dealer is cutting us out =
of the loop, and doing the piano and its owner a great disservice.=20

  I'm sure many of you have faced or still contend with this issue.  How =
do we, as techs, tell the customer that the piano needs more frequent =
and more thorough service without heaping the blame on dealers?=20

  Dave Stahl=20