Shimming Tuning Pins w/Walnut Veneer Questions

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Sun, 26 May 2002 08:59:13 -0700

I cut or break the veneer into strips approx. 1/4" wide. After the pin is
extracted put the strip into the hole for depth measurement. Make the strip
about 1/16" longer than the entire hole depth. On grands w/hole drilled all
the way through, put your hand under the P.B to stop the shim at the bottom.
Once I get the size right, I put the strip in my mouth to wet it, this makes
the veneer flexible so that it will conform to the shape of the hole. Insert
the shim on the speaking length side of the hole, (the hole is usually
elongated in this direction). Hand start the tuning pin and screw it into
the pin block to a height just slightly higher than it's neighbors, (approx.
one turn higher). Put the coil back on and bring to pitch. When you are
screwing the pin in, you can tell if the pin feel is what you want. Some
times it is necessary to put a wider/thinner shim in.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)