How long to wait, after moving?

John Ross jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca
Sun, 26 May 2002 10:11:21 -0300

Hi Terry,
The question of how long to wait, has too many answers, as there are too
many variables.
The summers up here, (not really summers, as some of you, understand summers
to be. :-)) have humidity fluctuations from say 60% -100%, all within 2-3
weeks. So depending on what the humidity is for say 3 days prior, is the
humidity you are tuning at, and it could be completely different 3 weeks
later.
To make sure I don't end up with the dilemma, of tuning a piano, and having
it go out, because of the humidity change. I always write the temperature
and humidity on the bill, and tell them to get their annual tuning into a
"heat is on cycle".
In the summer, I try to do other work, or not. :-)    If I tune in the
summer, I stress the fact that the piano will go in and out of tune as the
humidity goes through its ups and downs.
Most of my customers, since the lessons are during the school year, find my
tune during the heating season, to work quite well.
If the player, plays during the full year then I recommend a Dampp-Chaser
system. I inform all my customers of the advantage of the DC system, but
stress it for the serious players.
Regards,
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia.