Tuning Gone Bad: The Outcome

PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM
Sun, 26 May 2002 09:06:43 EDT

In a message dated 5/25/02 8:54:09 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com writes:

> But the piano was wierd. Bad wierd. I did a normal pitch raise, but the
> center ended up 5 to 8 cents flat. I did a tuning pass, with pulling the
> middle part up an extra cent or so to make all work out nice. The top half
> of the middle section ended up 4 to 5 cents sharp. So I retuned that part
> back down to pitch. Then the lower half of the middle section ended up 8
> cents sharp! What's going on here!?!?!
>
> Then I decided two things: 1) That thar' pie-anner's got some problems; and
> 2) I had better go the the store and get a bottle of wine and some chicken
> to grill. So I did. Problem solved.

Terry,

Kohler and Campbell pianos from the 60s and 70s were some of the pianos I
learned to "tune" on, if you can call it that.  They pianos have more false
beats and less stability than most of the pianos I've tuned since(but the
cases were sort of attractive, which is undoubtedly why so many were sold).
Add in the humidity changes that your particular unit encountered, and voila,
a recipe for disaster.

I'm with you:  that pie-anner indeed has problems, and yes, having wine and
grilled chicken was the logical solution.

Hope it was good!

Dave Stahl