Recrowning the soundboard,something different

Richard Brekne richard.brekne@grieg.uib.no
Sun, 26 May 2002 12:49:42 +0200

On 25.05.2002 at 23:10 Farrell wrote:

>I "rebuilt" an Estey microgrand a while back and dried the heck out of
>the board, wedged the heck out of it, and put umpteen shims in the board.
>After cleaning up the board, letting it cool down, and removing wedges, I
>was absolutely tickled to see that the board had a good 3/8" or so of
>crown. Hit it with your fist and it went BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM.
>Well, at least Boom.
>
>Then I strung it. The crown immediately went down, flat as a, well, a
>board - as in flat as a pancake. I only used super-minimal downbearing.
>Needless to say, I'm don't feel anxious to try introducing crown in this
>manner.
>
>Terry Farrell

I remember this story... and I have wondered since if what would have happened if you had installed the plate so as to create just minimal bearing. Guess I will never know. :)
Richard Brekne
RPT NPTF
Griegakadamiet UiB