Recrowning the soundboard,something different

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Sat, 25 May 2002 23:19:24 -0500

>I "rebuilt" an Estey microgrand a while back and dried the heck out of the
>board, wedged the heck out of it, and put umpteen shims in the board. After
>cleaning up the board, letting it cool down, and removing wedges, I was
>absolutely tickled to see that the board had a good 3/8" or so of crown. Hit
>it with your fist and it went BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Well, at
>least Boom.
>
>Then I strung it. The crown immediately went down, flat as a, well, a board
>- as in flat as a pancake. I only used super-minimal downbearing. Needless
>to say, I'm don't feel anxious to try introducing crown in this manner.
>
>Terry Farrell

That's the thing with this stuff. What you think you've accomplished is
very much a matter of when, and if, you quit looking and make your
judgement. Some folks never do look, some never decide. Some freeze
somewhere between the extremes, others evolve.

Ron N