Harpsichord strings

Dave Doremus algiers_piano@bellsouth.net
Sat, 25 May 2002 21:10:19 -0500

At 2:08 PM -0400 5/24/02, Newton Hunt wrote:
>Well, first 16' is very non traditional. .........

Newton is correct, and it is always problematic. They are,
unfortunatly. often found in such disasters as Sperrhakes and
Neuperts. However Herz, Hubbard and one of the Michigan builders (
Keith Hill? Tyre? I dont remember, sorry) have made fairly successful
instruments with 16' choirs. If you have a record of the wire sizes
of the originals try contacting the Instrument Workshop:
<fortepiano@fortepiano.com>. They will make almost any string,
although they may have a length limit of 7' from the hitch pin if I
remember right. And they may be able to advise you on your scale.  Or
you can try someone who makes autoharp strings......
--
----Dave

Dave Doremus RPT
New Orleans