Tunings stability problem

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Sat, 25 May 2002 12:32:33 EDT

In a message dated 5/25/02 1:29:33 PM !!!First Boot!!!, jurjens@tpg.com.au
writes:

> Won't shimming or larger pins make a crack spread wider, making the problem
> worse?
>
> Is this why glue may be better?
>
> Is glue only useful for a cracked plank? Or also for enlarged holes?
>
> Scott

It is my opinion that you cannot permanently fix a cracked pin block. You can
slow it down, and you can temporarily keep the pins from slipping. But the
only permanent solution to a cracked pinblock is a new one. The only
exception to that is if you epoxy the entire block. But that procedure should
only be done in extreme situations, like a mortised in block.

Wim