Return calls/was tuning stability

PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM PNHISTIC1@AOL.COM
Sat, 25 May 2002 08:56:25 EDT

Terry, list,

I recently tuned a 1 year old Kawai RX-2 6' grand in a home that was a  half
hour drive from my house.  I spent a good amount of time on it because it had
gone at least 20-30 cents flat throughout in the year since it had been
purchased and tuned.  When I was finished, I was quite pleased with the way
it sounded.  Unfortunately, the gentleman who plays the instrument was not
there to check it out at the time.  He called the following week to point out
that there was little sustain in the mid/lower treble.

I know the dampers were adjusted, and I'd left nothing on the strings to mute
them.  The hammers were not grooved at all.  My take on it is that the player
had gotten used to a certain sound-- out  of tune--so that when the unisons
were tuned, the piano didn't sound the same at all.

Anyway, I told him that I'd come out and look at the piano no charge if he
could wait until I had another call in his neighborhood(likely very
soon--it's in San Jose, CA, a huge metropolitan area with many pianos).  I'd
come look at it and correct anything I'd caused or missed for no charge, but
if it turned out he'd left a shirt on the strings, or that there was no
problem, I'd charge him half a tuning fee for the hour in the car.

Sound fair?  Any opinions on this?

Dave Stahl