Fork inTeeth??

ROBOTUNER@AOL.COM ROBOTUNER@AOL.COM
Sat, 25 May 2002 08:17:11 EDT

        Have I missed something in my training as a piano tuner?I have been
an aural tuner for over twenty years and an RPT since 1985.I have never put
the fork between my teeth nor I have ever been instructed to do so,and I have
had several well known tuners as mentors.Much of what we do in tuning
requires the ability to discern even subltle variances in beat rates.For
example M3rd m6th checks.You couldn't play all four of those notes together
and get any sense of where you are at.That is why I would suggest that it is
better to develop the minds ability to compare beat rates even when setting
the pitch with a fork.I have done it so much I even know the speed I am
looking for.(at least on S'way B's and D's) I might add that my method is
just as accurate as fork in teeth.My Guild membership had lapsed several
years ago,and  I had to be retested.On the part of the test where you set the
tuning note to the fork,I got 100%.
   Sorry if I went on kind of long.I just wonder how many tuners don't put
their forks in their mouths.                        Robin Olson  RPT  Wash DC
Chapter