not enough hands -- setting A49 to fork

Kevin E. Ramsey ramsey@extremezone.com
Fri, 24 May 2002 18:40:19 -0700

    Mark, et al; Your suggestion works great. What I did was to go to =
Radio Shack and buy 1/4" heat shrink tubing, cut a small piece off and =
heat it to the shank. That way, you don't have to clamp down! A really =
cheap fix too. Nobody needs to feel a tuning fork vibrating on their =
teeth!

Kevin E. Ramsey
ramsey@extremezone.com
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Mark Wisner=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 10:26 AM
  Subject: Re: not enough hands -- setting A49 to fork

  I clamp down on the end of the fork stem with my teeth, freeing up =
both hands.  My wife, who is a dentist, doesn't approve but you can =
REALLY hear the fork.  Of course you have to be careful where you put =
the fork when you're not using it.....=20

  Mark Wisner
  Yamaha Corporation
  mwisner@yamaha.com

  >>> piano@charlesneuman.net 05/24/02 09:43AM >>>
  When setting A49 to the fork, I like to compare F21-fork with F21-A49. =
It
  seems that I need three hands to do this: One to play F21, one to hold =
the
  fork or play A49, and one to move the lever.

  Since I only have 2 hands, I keep F21 held down by putting a mute sort =
of
  sideways and resting on the backchecks of the neighboring notes (on a
  vertical piano) so that it blocks F21 in the depressed position. Or I =
can
  jam a mute along the top of the key to keep it down, but that seems =
like
  it would mess up the felt right above the keytop. Once it's held down,
  then I can compare F21-fork and then tune F21-A49 to that same beat =
rate.

  Are there any other techniques I should consider?

  Charles Neuman
  PTG Associate, Long Island-Nassau