Harpsichord strings

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Fri, 24 May 2002 14:43:16 -0400

>Well, first 16' is very non traditional.  No one made a harpsichord with a 16'
>stop except a very few pedal boxes played with the feet.
>
>		Newton

I agree that they are certainly non traditional but they are not
uncommon.  We have a couple of old Sperrhakes that have the 16'.  I
understand that it was fashionable for awhile around the sixties or
so.  I looked through what supplies we still have (we have not used
these birds in years but I can't seem to get rid of them) and there
is nothing that might help.  Try contacting any current harpsichord
builder and ask them for advice or see if the Early Music shop in
Boston is still around.  Try searching the web.  Good luck,

chris
--
Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
School of Music, Ohio University