not enough hands -- setting A49 to fork

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Fri, 24 May 2002 13:27:00 EDT

In a message dated 5/24/02 12:08:03 PM Central Daylight Time,
piano@charlesneuman.net writes:

> When setting A49 to the fork, I like to compare F21-fork with F21-A49. It
> seems that I need three hands to do this: One to play F21, one to hold the
> fork or play A49, and one to move the lever.
>
> Since I only have 2 hands, I keep F21 held down by putting a mute sort of
> sideways and resting on the backchecks of the neighboring notes (on a
> vertical piano) so that it blocks F21 in the depressed position. Or I can
> jam a mute along the top of the key to keep it down, but that seems like
> it would mess up the felt right above the keytop. Once it's held down,
> then I can compare F21-fork and then tune F21-A49 to that same beat rate.
>
> Are there any other techniques I should consider?
>
> Charles Neuman
> PTG Associate, Long Island-Nassau

Put the fork between your teeth, and flick it with your finger. That allows
you to play your notes, and tune at the same time. The stereo effect is also
neat. This method might take some getting used to, as the fork does produce a
slight vibration. Do not put your lips around the fork, as that will dampen
the vibrations sooner.

Wim