Bass string winding Tension

Newton Hunt nhunt@optonline.net
Fri, 24 May 2002 13:23:49 -0400

> 60% of the strings tension when it is up to full tension in the piano.
>
> We all know that the string will stretch as we increase the tension on the
> string, by as much as 10 millimetre or more.  Whilst this is happening the
> copper windings theoretically should be parting by a '.' amount.  Now if the
> string when tuned has 80 kilo of tension and has stretched 10mm then :
>
> If the string was wound at 40 kilo tension with a stretch of 5mm then the
> '.' gap would be wider than if the string was wound at 48 kilo (60%) with a
> stretch of perhaps 3mm.
>
> I would think that a string wound at a higher tension would require less
> twist than the string wound at the lower tension.
>
> But there must be a point where if you have too much tension (say 80 kilo)
> that the copper wire would be crushed when the tension is released and the
> string shrinks.
>
> Possibly the right tension is that one that causes the string to not hang
> straight. ?
>
> Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

I do understand now.  I have no answer for you.  I don't know what tension is
used on the lathe and I think it is an important factor but I still don't have
an information about that aspect of string making.

I do know Ari Isaac has mentioned this item but he did not give me any numbers.

Have a great weekend all.

		Newton