Harpsichord strings

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Fri, 24 May 2002 10:05:30 -0700

On the subject of strings.  I have completely restored a harpsichord with a
16'choir and most of those strings are wound.  They are very small with very
small windings.  I asked Mapes and they would not bother with it.  I sent
away to Neupert for strings, but when I put them on the windings not spaced
right and were long enough to go past the pressure bar.  This was not like
the old ones I sent them.  I had them replace them once and the other set
was better but not great.  I found that man of them broke before I got them
up to pitch.  The pressure bar was also separating the windings when the
string went over it.

Does any of the string makers here wish to make me a set of Harpsichord 16'
strings?

This is a John Feldberg harpsichord from 1966.  It was unplayable by 1977
and is now completely reconstructed and works very well.

D.L. Bullock
www.thepianoworld.com
St. Louis