Bass string making

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Fri, 24 May 2002 00:56:47 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: John Delacour <JD@Pianomaker.co.uk>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2002 3:47 AM
Subject: Re: Bass Strings/Carl Meyer

|A string on a string-making machine is rotated at
| the same speed from two fixed ends.
|
| JD

Having never seen a bass string being made I have a couple
of questions.   Is the "eye" or hitch pin loop formed first
and then chucked?  How tight is the string )core) when it is
being wound?  When winding I have heard much (esp overall
diameter) depends on the tension the maker puts on winding.
Does this cause the string to "lag" which would be a kind of
twisting?   How fast does the core string turn?  Does the
machine give you a choice of winding both clock wise and
counter clockwise?    Are there tests you can give it to see
if it has any buzzes?  ---ricurious