Old Packard upright

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Fri, 24 May 2002 00:01:44 -0400

At 7:02 PM -0700 5/23/02, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>All,
>This thread is exactly what I was trying to convey to ya'll many months ago,
>regarding "Mentoring". If this situation was in my locale, I would, without
>hesitation, make that piano whole again, for probably little or no cost to
>the owner. Most people do not wish to accept charity, so tact needs to be in
>the mix. But, the "expression" on the little girls face would certainly be
>more than enough to prompt me to "find a way"! From time to time me MUST
>give something back. Especially those of use that have been earning a decent
>living in this business, for many years. The reality is that, it is little
>skin off our nose to do a somewhat "charity" job, from time to time. Believe
>me, the rewards, for this sort of thing, is tremendous!
>I hope, and I pray, that that Packard gets put in decent shape ASAP.
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)

Most of us would be wiling to improve the piano, as it clearly means
so much to the child. The big problem is the Father's summary
judgement about the piano. (And he may have undeniable, compelling
reasons.)

I think a possible way around the father's decision is to tell him
that if he allows you to tune it on a regular basis (hopefully twice
a year, but more likely annually), that it will improve greatly. Ask
him to ask his daughter what she's thinks of that, and she'll give
him a big yes! (His wife will tell him the same thing.)

That way, each time you're there, you can put an extra hour (or two)
into the piano. The daughter's musicianship will flower, and if the
parents care to advance the process, they can bargain with you.

In the end what keeps this business alive is how successful an
experience the piano is for people. If they are able to fully enjoy
the experience of the piano, they will keep a piano for a lifetime as
a companion. And pass it on to their children.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"May you work on interesting pianos."
     ...........Ancient Chinese Proverb