Key Leading Efficiency

Bill Ballard yardbird@pop.vermontel.net
Thu, 23 May 2002 23:42:48 -0400

At 9:47 PM -0400 5/23/02, Farrell wrote:
>Thanks for the tip. I have a can of 9/16" dia. plugs made up. I
>guess I could save some space and store >the plugs in the same can
>as the 9/16" holes. Or will the plugs get stuck in the holes, and
>then I'll have a >devil of a time separating them?

It takes sudden, cold water to separate them, and what's more, if
you're too late, you'll have a multiplication problem, a regular
bloom of plugs and holes.

At 9:42 PM -0400 5/23/02, Farrell wrote:
>No. Yamaha. "Each key individually weighed-off" - so as to be sure
>to mask uneven hammer weights, uneven leverage, uneven pinning,
>uneven key bushing friction, etc., etc. - at least for a while,
>until friction changes or someone puts a new set of hammers on!

Kind of makes you think what squirmy worms are awry underneath those
figures which represent both weight and friction. Friction is not to
be counterbalanced with lead. Friction is not reduced by adding more
lead in front. It is its own quantity, not completely independent of
leverage, but at least unaffected by the FWs. to any significant
extent.

Look what happens even in the best of factories, when friction (that
is, its measurement) is not separated from the aspect of weight. Two
different kinds of force, two different tool boxes for "regulating"
them. (Oh why do I put quotes around that?).

Two different areas on the work. Regulating friction, in all the
corners where you find it. We know the list and the procedures. And
regulating the weight. You know SWs, SBRs, KRs and FWs. (And for the
guy asking about all the acronyms in his soup, the Secret Handshake).

But if we lump them together, if we don't separate them, if we simply
think of them in terms of DWs and UWs, we won't be able to read
whether or standard piece of friction work is leaving in some as yet
still unnoticed gummy or wobbly spot. We won't be able to watch as we
throw the hammer weights or the front leads too far out of
proportion. All we'll know is that when looked at in finished form,
the counterbalancing reads good according to some perspective, say a
rudimentary DW, possibly, hopefully combined with (but still separate
from) an UW.

And frankly, if I were forced to pick between these two messes to
clean up, I'd rather clean up the frothing forth of plugs and holes
in my 1 gal plastic milk jug (yes, washed out, thank you).

At 9:26 PM -0500 5/23/02, Ron Nossaman wrote:
>(snat).....will crank you back in time to Ms
>Aphasia's fourth grade class, where you'll be required to draw a bunny for
>a passing grade. Oh for the sculpture days of Kindergarten, where any
>random lump passed as a first rate bunny.

Oh the Pain, Oh the Degradation.....(Frankly Scarlet, I don't give a damn..).

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"If we see you SMOKING we will assume that you are on fire and will
take appropriate measures"
     ...........Sign in a Music Dept. Hallway