Tuning Stability Problem/Ron Ochs, K.Falls, OR

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Thu, 23 May 2002 19:09:59 -0700

Ron,
Ya should have called me! [G]
First of all, knowing the climate in K.Falls, does the piano have a complete
Damp-Chaser System? If it doesn't, do it. (I know, ....it's not an easy sell
to churches), but it will most assuredly help. Secondly, rather than
shimming with sandpaper, use walnut veneer, (the raw stuff, not the backed
kind). Walnut veneer, moistened with a bit of spit, will conform to the hole
and will tighten things up nicely.
Also, check to see if there is a "gaposous" problem where the plate flange
meets the pin block. If there is, this can cause cracking and delamination
of the pinblock, that would cause these problems.
Hope this helps! Next time call me, please?
Best Regards,
Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)