Stieff upright

Thu, 23 May 2002 09:11:44 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: May 23, 2002 5:13 AM
Subject: Re: Stieff upright

> Why restrict Knabes to late 20s? I just pulled apart an 1893 Knabe that
was built quite like a tank - open block, full grand-like pinblock/plate
flange and full plate flange on bottom of plate/piano. Most ribs still had
about a 40-foot radius curve to them. Oh, and the termites loved the way it
tasted!

> Terry Farrell

Terry,

A couple of years back I did some redesign work on one of these for another
technician. At least it sounds like a similar piano. When completed it was
compared to two other uprights of similar size in his shop -- one of them a
conventionally rebuilt S&S upright from the same era -- there was no
comparison. The Knabe blew everything away. Wonderfully smooth,
well-balanced sound throughout. It's quite safe to say there is NOTHING on
today's market that can successfully compete with this piano.

Del