top 10 prospects for resuscitation

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@attbi.com
Thu, 23 May 2002 08:44:46 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of Jon Page
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2002 6:38 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: top 10 prospects for resuscitation

At 04:54 AM 5/23/2002 -0500, you wrote:

>BTW -- I will do a bait and switch now and repeat my request for any
>experience out there with a B. H. Janssen, Albany -- c. 1912.

The Official "Bottom-of-the-Barrel". Notorious for case separation.

I have a call on my answering machine from a tuner's referral. It is a
Jannsen
with all the plastic action parts in need of replacement.  I am going to

recommend
replacing the piano rather than replace the parts as the cost of this
would
far exceed
the value of the piano. If it is a cherished family heirloom, then I'll
recommend frequent
dusting and doilies to spruce it up.

Absolute junk.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@attbi.com
Tom Driscoll here,
	 Ditto on many 50's and 60's Janssen's although I'll say that
many can be serviceable. Tuned one yesterday with the back posts warping
and pulling away from the block and filler members at the top.(Tuned to
existing pitch with lot's of Butt Covering warnings)  Who knows what the
bottom was doing! The best thing about the 60"s Janssen's was the built
in Fluorescent light. You know, the one with the insulation falling off
the cord and the burned out ballast and of course the  JANSSEN CREED!.
T.D.
	P.S. List, Grandma was coming this weekend and wanted to play
her little piano one last time so don't jump ugly with me for doing what
I could to make it a little better .  T.D.