Bass Strings/Carl Meyer

John Delacour JD@Pianomaker.co.uk
Wed, 22 May 2002 09:47:55 +0100

At 3:31 pm -0600 21/5/02, pianotech-digest wrote:

From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>

| "Pre-twisting" the core wire is #1 not possible and #2 would not work,

Nonsense.  There is no practical impediment to the stringmaker's
pre-twisting the core.  I don't do it myself because a)İİcustomers don't
expect it and prefer to exercise their own judgment in the matter of
twisting, and b) even if the customer doesn't twist my strings, they are
not going to buzz or rattle.

| Either way, I don't see any way possible for "pre-twisting" the core,
| knowing how a string is made on a lathe type apparatus.

Well, if you conceive of a string-making machine as a "lathe type"
apparatus, then I can understand why you can't see how it's possible.  The
workpiece on a lathe is driven from one end and is free to rotate on a
centre at the other end.  A string on a string-making machine is rotated at
the same speed from two fixed ends.

JD