Bass Strings

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Tue, 21 May 2002 18:04:11 -0400

In a message dated Tue, 21 May 2002 11:28:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, "D.L. Bullock" <dlbullock@att.net> writes:

>Years ago I got bass strings from a variety of sources.  I found rattle and
>problems with one or two in every set.  I no longer purchase them from any
>normal piano supply houses because of this.
>
>I have used Mapes for over 10 years and I have never had a bad string from
>them.  Of course, I also learned the 3 twist secret at the same time I
>started with them so that may factor in.
>
>To answer the question asked, A twist in our shop is a full 360 degree twist
>and it is done with the tuning pin in hand before the rosin goes on for
>hammering into the block.  There is also someone holding the loop down on
>the hitch.  In the case of strung pianos, I have a vise grip plier that has
>flat tips to its jaws and I hold the string by the tightly coiled end of the
>loop which allows me to lift it off, twist the loop end around and put it
>back in place with little chance of slipping out and flying off.  The old 30
>year old Yamahas really came back to life after the twists.
>
>I have found previous rebuilds that had all the strings twisted the wrong
>way.  Needless to say this was not the only problem with the so-called
>rebuild inflicted on that piano.
>
>For several years I was trying fewer turns on my restrings.  I found no ugly
>sound with more turns.  I settled on three because it gave the impression of
>a larger bass.
>
>Oh, tiny pianos do get less than three twists...more like 1.5 to 2.  I
>haven't broken any new strings doing this but I don't want to either.
>
>D.L. Bullock
>www.thepianoworld.com
>St. Louis

I have also used Mapes strings for years on my less expensive restorations, I have always gotten excellent service.  The only criticism I might have is that the windings do not always extend to less than 3/4 of an inch from the agraffes.  If I signify on my string pattern to please make the windings within 3/4 inch they gladly oblidge.
In my experience twisting the base strings more than one turn seems to add an unbearable amount of inharmonicity in the strings so one turn is my limit.  I have not had any problems with loose windings turning the string 360.
David Koelzer
DFW