So there

antares antares@EURONET.NL
Tue, 21 May 2002 23:04:48 +0200

> From: "Isaac OLEG" <oleg-i@wanadoo.fr>
> Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 23:45:28 +0200
> To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
> Subject: So there
>

> Hello Andre, I've seen that you are back. Hope you are well, that the travel
> and your instructor's job was not too tiring?
>
> How was the Korea, did you have good results ? How did you find these Samick
> pianos ?

Hi Isaac,

Korea was big fun.
They treated me really nice with good hotels and restaurants.
The factory was nice too and it went all very well.
After three days I flew to Jakarta where they have a huge factory.

All in all very interesting and what the future will bring I do not know
yet.

> I wanted to tell you that I begin really now to appreciate the real value of
> the "natural regulation method "you showed me. It took some time and
> training indeed but most things are taking their place (done some tools &
> method organization too).

I am glad it goes so well for you. I noticed that your two days in our
workplace were a good stimulant for you.

> I used it on a few pianos, and it is coming better and better (the sound,
> the touch) . I still have a few points I am unsure of but the overall
> process is really working fine and produce very good comments from pianists
> (and much more enjoyable instruments).
>
> The people of Cite de la Musique seems to appreciate the work, I will have a
> look at another instrument for them soon , the pianist I asked to check the
> piano for me have find it very enjoyable, and tells me he likes to see more
> of my work.
>
> But, most important I guess, I have made friendly meets with some
> colleagues, Emmanuel MEZENGUE, which is now in Strasbourg, and was for a
> time intoner and technician for Fazioli, and I just met Emmanuel PETIT, a
> tuner/rebuilder which is working as a sub contractor for Hanlet.
>
> We are planning to exchange tips and tricks, and I have the benefit of
> coming with some new things (Verituner, Stanwood method, ) that interest
> most of the techs.
> Slowly, the situation is becoming better, I have begin to work my
> relationship with the HAMLET Workshop and headquarters staff, and I made 2
> verticals 'put in shape' jobs for them this week, in their place (30 hrs
> work) , so they have seen me more closely, I am planning to do other jobs as
> grand regulations, or probably some rebuilds in my shop ASAP. Even "the
> great" Helmut LEMMA seems to be more friendly, we talk a little lately. (but
> you know, Mr. Kalb at the factory never hear of me, so I have to add
> pressure and prove my right to be the first external tech 'allowed' to go to
> Hamburg.

Good, just the pressure tight in order to get your place in the factory as
soon as possible.

> Here are a few questions, a few things I am unsure of, if your time permit :
>
> *** Do you use different key deep (sticking with the model specification as
> for Steinway ?).
> If unsure , what is your standard ? do you try to regulate at 10 mm ?

Always 10 mm, except with certain STW models where they have a somewhat
shallower dip.

>5 BTW,
> I like to know if the little block from Yamaha is really 10 mm or if it is a
> little less, as I've been told it is easier to feel there if there is a
> little gap, in consequence the 10 mm block may be a little less.

If you check the block with a micrometer it should be exactly 10.

> *** How do you ascertain that the frame is in good posture on the knees.
> Particularly for drop regulation and checking, I believe that the height of
> my knees change the regulation result.
> Is there a way of checking that, or only in the piano with models ?

You should always test a few hammers with drop in order to know what the
result is while regulating the action on your knees.

> BTW - I got the drop regulation coming at hand , but in 2 passes I believe -
> is it possible to do it (almost) right the first time ?

Of course, at a certain moment you know what the right movement is.

> *** What parameters do you play with if you want to have a heavier or
> lighter touch ? is it possible to move some parameters fast enough without
> loosing the 'clear touch' ?

Clear touch is the main objective.
After having regulated the action in a very precise way we will reach the
moment of clear touch.
Then we decide what to do with weights etc.

The only way to get a fast result without too much harm is lubing (anti-
friction), but again, you should take great care not to make the action too
slippery.

For more drastic results use the Stanwood method, or the wippen with assist
spring regulation or the Velo magnets.
Within a reasonably short time we will ahve the first Renner made wippens
with spring regulation.

> *** On some pianos there is a lot of work to get even the key bed at its
> right place, many are warped, and have been regulated with too much pressure
> on the key bed screws, so a lot of punching have to go.
>
> In what configuration the bolts screws are to be for trimming under the
> front rail ? Totally unscrewed, or all knocking (not enough pressure but a
> little)?

First totally un-screwed.
Then, start in the middle and follow the whole procedure like I have
explained to you.
When you have finished regulating the key frame (so that it rests firmly on
the key bed without knocking) you then bring the keys up to their desired
key height with paper punching.

>I wonder if there can be a problem of bedding the front rail while
> having no support at all under the balance rail (see what I mean ?)

If you do as I explained to you, you will have no problem with the front
rail at all, unless the frame is completely warped. In that case you have a
big problem and I would then recommend buying a new frame.

> What do you consider the fastest process with hand tools in customer's place
> (plane blade, sanding, )? 5 I had to do that on a C3 this afternoon and a
> lot of sanding I've done , with 120 grit , took me 0.30 min to get rid of a
> long opening in the middle of the keybed ( too long process I guess).
> I try to unscrew/screw the frame and it did not change nothing. Is it
> necessary sometime to saw more the front rail to flatten it (may be shim too
> ?)

I never had to do that and certainly not with a Yamaha.

> Checking : I wonder if you will allow for a VERY high checking when possible
> (on some hammers it is possible to check at 10 mm and not block). I guess
> you stay with a checking in the high third of the back check anyway is not
> it ?

As high as possible without any blocking.

> We will have the visit of an American technician in June , Jon Ralinowsky,
> he is in charge of 85 pianos in Miami University, as he find it is not
> enough work he still have 35 others in a school, and private customers. The
> US tech amaze me - I believe they don't know about the "35 heures" that are
> actually ruling in France.

They have no choice, there houses or rent costs too much money, their
insurance costs too much money, they too pay a lot of taxes and they get
sued all the time. Life is miserable there.
It is a great place for vacation though.....

> Are you staying here a bit ?

I'll go again on the 17th of June. We can stay two weeks with a friend who
has a house on a Greek Island.

> I hope you will have a little time for writing. I did not find the Pleyel
> parts Arnold asked me, but may be some day...

Maybe....

> Greetings to everyone.

Everyone greets you too....   (;

> Friendly Regards.